Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Moonstone: Parts Two and Three

Okay, so I missed Wednesday, but I don't think that was a big issue for many people. Sorry if those are posts you look forward too.
Also, I didn't keep to the schedule I promised you. But don't worry. I only skipped ahead about 100 pages. One, I wanted to find out more(plot's really picked up!) and then I wanted to get the next narrator over with.
PET PEEVE: Narrators that I can't like. Ever. That includes over religious(in this case) over callous(ooh, again in this case) and anything else that's just over the top too much. I know there are people like that, but I don't want to read them. Please and thank you.
Other than that, I really liked the story. It was basically amazing how well the plot advanced. First, the moonstone was finally stolen. Then we got to go on a search to find out who might have stolen it, introducing an interesting new character--a detective--and then one of the maids dies. We are presented with the owner of the Moonstone as the most likely thief. Stealing her own diamond...devious.
There's an underlying touch of romance here--Rachel, the owner of the diamond, is in love with the man who brought her the diamond, but her cousin is in love with her. He proposes and gets turned down. Then the Moonstone gets stolen and Rachel gets really mad at the man who brought it to her. Then she's accused of stealing the Diamond and they move to London to keep her out of the mess. Where her cousin proposes again. This time she accepts him.
Then her mom dies.
And then Rachel breaks off the engagement and goes to live with her mother's lawyer and his family.
Basically all that happened.
Good read though(once I got past the narrator)!

No comments:

Post a Comment