Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Graveyard Book

There are books--few and far between--that I don't read when I get them immediately.
This was one of them.
I knew that it was getting bad when, last weekend, my nephew caught me reading this book and said, "Oh, you're reading that finally?"
Needless to say, I finished it quickly.
And, here's the thing...AUTHOR CRUSH AUTHOR!
I love Neil Gaiman's books--from Good Omens to American Gods. All of his short stories.
So why did I put off reading this one?
I don't have a good answer for that. Busy, I suppose. Reading other novels.

I really liked this book(It's actually a YA/children novel). It was one of the best things I've read(fully) in a while.
I've got to want you though: The writing(especially in the first few pages) is the a bit dark and creepy.
It's about a boy who is called Nobody Owens, who's family is killed. Nobody is taken in and raised by two ghosts at a graveyard, along with Silas, his guardian. It starts out as an amazing adventure, with different sorts of ghosts and other miraculous non-human beings. Nobody experiences a series of ups and downs, he does the right thing and the wrong thing.
It's the story of a boy who grows up in a grave yard, to put it simply.
And it's amazing.

There's love won and lost, feeling hopeless and hopeful...just, all of the emotions anyone can imagine. If he wanted, I'm sure he could have me in tears. As it is, he scares me to the bone, and his stories keep me up at night.

It's also another reason as to why Neil Gaiman is at the top of my Author Crush List.  He's a wonderful, descriptive writer who, unlike me, can find the perfect balance between dialogue and describing stuff.
He creates bloody amazing characters.
He tells a story in the most wonderful manner.
And he manages to do this all at the same time, over and over again.
Plus, he wrote the fourth episode of Doctor Who, Series Six...(I'll probably keep bring up Series Six until after it airs.)
((On the plus side to this obsession, there's a book series about the Doctor. I shall read one book. I'll probably have to go on a rant about published fanfiction again, if those amuse you.))

No comments:

Post a Comment