Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Moonstone: Part One of Five

The Moonstone is a really long book. 557 pages, smallish font(i'd guess, 9, 10 font. In a paper back book.)
And I've been a bit busy. Really Busy. I have Calculus this semester, along with Spanish, Global Affairs, Government and the Creative Writing Prose class. Most of which are pretty good, but...lots of home work And, yeah, I've been a bit distracted this week. No excuse for it, honestly, but I've decided that for both your sanity and mine, I'll give you a review-ish thing of The Moonstone in five parts.
Your sanity because even the first 103 pages were so packed full of stuff(my brain's not working right now. Sorry) that it's hard to deal with. And think about. And understand. Also, because the writer later changes Points of View later. Which is gonna be interesting. But hard to follow.
Background information on this tale: The Moonstone is a priceless(actually, this is Victorian times, so a very expensive), very large yellow diamond. It's supposed to be mystical to Indians(from India. I'm not being insulting here, but I'm sure that there are a few people who would be confused since in America the Native Americans were called Indians for hundreds of years. Cause Chris Columbus wasn't the brightest tool in the shed.) And those who were supposed to guard it want it back. Now. So they're going to steal it from the niece of the guy who stole it. Please keep reading if that was confusing.
ON TO THE FIRST 11 CHAPTERS!
First pet peeve: Nothing. Happened. At all. Well, little bits of stuff happened. The Moonstone's discovery was told. We found out what The Moonstone was, exactly(basically a symbol of a god, I'll keep it basic.) We found out it took the Character three times to actually START the story.

There will be more Pet Peeves to come with this story, and I should make a list sometime of the bigger ones I have. But that's one of them. Nothing happening in 99 pages of STUFF. We get a lot of back story, which is nice. I like backstory. We also slowly move the plot along. It's important, but slow.
Which I'm bad at. I don't like 70 pages of back story before I get to see the diamond.
The good news is that I like this narrator. He's amusing. He's kinda funny at times which is good, because it helps hold me up for the next ten or so pages.

That's my impression so far. I'm not done so I don't have much to comment on about it, and like I said, mostly back story.
Good back story.
But back story nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment