Sunday, December 26, 2010

God bless Us, Every One.

Which is the last line in the 76 page version my father handed me when I asked if he had it. The grammar and everything.
That could just be the printer, of course, I don't know-the version I held in my hands is from 1877.
Trust me, I've been taking good care of it. It's so much older than me.
But on to the story (And yes, actually, the DW Christmas Special DOES relate, which is why it's tagged.)
A Christmas Carol is a really good read-like I said, the version I have is only 76 pages, although it's in a much bigger book, accompanied by a Tale of Two Cities and other stories. Everyone knows the basic plot, but here it is again...
Setting: Christmas Eve.
Scrooge is a mean old man who hates Christmas, forces his clerk Bob Cratchit to work on Christmas, and refuses his nephew's invitation to a Christmas Party.
Well, when he gets home, and is almost asleep, his old dead business partner, "Marley is dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that." drops by to visit him as a ghost, and warns him three more spirits will come to show him the errors of his way.
1.) Ghost of Christmas Past. Shows Scrooge everything that happened before, everything that can never be change.
2.)Ghost of Christmas Present; Show Scrooge the Christmas Party he didn't go to and...well, Tiny Tim. Really, if you don't know this story, you shouldn't be reading this.
3.) Ghost of Christmas Future; In which Scrooge is dim and doesn't realize he's the dead one until there's a tombstone.
And so he mends his ways.
The end.
Really, it's a lot more impressive than the way I just phrased it, the writing is wonderful, and all the writers out there who do not bow to Charles Dickens are not worth it.
I really, really do recommend you take the little while it'll take to read it. I loved the story, and the chapter stops were good places to stop if you were reading the book chapter by chapter at midnight. Like me.
Anyway, I promised I would relate Doctor Who to this...and I will!
By telling you that if they ever make a proper remake of A Christmas Carol the movie, Michael Gambon better be the lead.
This Christmas Special really was the Most Christmas-y Christmas Special EVER.
Based around A Christmas Carol, it was brilliant...with the Doctor playing the role of both The Ghost of Christmas Past and Future, and Amy and Rory as the Ghost of Christmas Present.
Well, if you read my last post, you know the story, but I had to comment, and it was the most wonderful thing EVER. I had my best friend over and we had cheesecake that my mom had made. It was so much fun.
And now it's snowing out over my house and entire state, actually.
It'd be cool if the Doctor caused that.
But Read, Read, Read! I've got like ten new books, so be prepared!
--ReaderExtraordinare

No comments:

Post a Comment