Sunday, December 19, 2010

I Shall Wear Midnight

The one thing I always think when I'm reading Terry Pratchett is about how much I'm thinking. I think more than I do when I'm doing most things, and reading most novels. He doesn't ask the questions-he get you to. Questions like, "Would I fight for my little bit of ground?" "What use are kings if they're not controlled by their people?" and "How many people do I know that look like a water color painting?"
Actually, I may be the only one who asked that. Maybe not, but still. Terry Pratchett's way of describing people is brilliant.
Tiffany Aching is the heroine of this latest story. It's a series of YA books, and the last one of the series. And it is brilliant. Tiffany Aching is a witch. But not the sort that conjure up a lot of images...pins, rituals, dancing around naked. Discworld Witches won't hold with that. The witches of the Disc don't waste their time like that. Witches, while they do have magic, do the things that everyone else won't. They care for the people who no one else cares for. They take care of the sick, help the old who can't help themselves, and watch over the dead (it's an old tradition, and it's what witches do). Witches are powerful. But Tiffany is a new, young witch, in a steading (area) that has never had a witch. Her grandmother was too smart to be a witch.
The trouble is, in the last book, Tiffany kissed the winter. The anthropomorphic personification, but still. And somehow that woke up this really powerful witch hunter, who has this really cool, interesting history that basically end in the fact that 1.) He hates every witch there ever was and will be, 2.) He doesn't even have a body anymore, is just kinda 'witch hunter' personified. 3.) he really hates witches and wants them all dead.
And the Baron(the old Baron) dies, so she has to go find the new Baron, Roland, who she used to have a romantic relationship with, and is now getting married, in the big city.
So, to help her find him, she brings along her good friends, the Nac Mac Feegles...who do three things really well...drink, fight and Drinking and Fighting.
To a big city.
Yeah...trouble.
Anyway, the basic plot line is about Tiffany and her attempt to destroy this bad person.
And how awesome it is to be a witch.
I've been thinking, and I realized, that if I were in Discworld, I would probably end up as a witch. Witches are nothing if not practical, and I'm extremely practical. I can be extremely silly, but at heart, I'm practical.
I also see what's there.
Not what people want to see, but what's really there.
It comes with being practical.
Witches are curious, and nosy. They have to be, to do what witches have to do. Actually, one of my favorite quotes in that book is, "Who cares for those who takes care of everyone else?" Which is said by a new character named Preston, who's this really smart 17 year old guy, who is currently a palace guard, because he's too smart. He's also the current love interest (who is ten times better than Roland- I never liked him.)
"If you can sew up a chicken giblet, you can mend a broken heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment